This is a unique and exciting time to be a part of Customer Connection Services at Western Power. We are at the forefront of the energy transition working directly with customers to leverage existing and new technologies, including microgrid, stand-alone power systems (SPS), battery storage solutions, Electric Vehicle (EV) highway, major State Government projects and incorporating increased levels of renewable energy such as roof top solar into the energy system. Customer Connection Services plays a direct role in transforming the electricity network ensuring a cleaner, brighter and more resilient energy supply for the next generation.
This role will play an integral part in enabling the decarbonisation of the energy system by converting more of our energy consumption to electricity, including electric vehicles (EVs) as well as other initiatives to enable industry sectors to reduce emissions by switching to electricity. Your skills, knowledge and passion will lead the transition to ensure the network is ready for when households and businesses integrate their electrification investments into the grid and electricity market.
We’re looking for an experienced, motivated Principal Engineer to join our Customer Connection Services team on a full-time, permanent basis. This role will operate out of our Perth CBD Office/South Metro Depot.
To provide Strategic and operational representation with internal and external stakeholders (including contractors), providing input and direction to standards, policies and work practices. Provide technical input to risk management activities such as risk register reviews as the subject matter expertise for Customer Connection Services. Technical expertise and support, consultation, and advice to the Head of Function, Area Manager’s and other non-technical staff.
As a Principal Engineer at Western Power you will:
- Provide high level expertise and technical support, consultation, and assistance to operations
- Be a subject matter expert in end to end engineering and technical investigations. Make recommendations and implement outcomes
- Manage the introduction of new plant, tools, or equipment to ensure compliance with relevant industry standards, consideration of industry benchmarks and practical applications for the field
- Integrating assurance activity trends and findings into continuous improvement opportunities across other Functions and Business Units
- Providing senior technical and engineering support for day-to-day operations, driving the development of new operational/technical standards and enhancing existing standards
- Technical representation at Senior Management level to key stakeholders
- Collaboration with other areas of the business and externally. Seeks the best outcomes for the business overall and engages with others to deliver collaboratively
- Maintain and develop awareness of engineering requirements within Operational Maintenance workforce in collaboration with ongoing corporate development programmes.
We’re seeking someone with skills and attributes that include:
- Demonstrated and comprehensive experience as a Principal Electrical Engineer in a complex working environment providing technical expertise
- At least 15 + years demonstrated and comprehensive experience
- Demonstrated experience in liaising with internal and external stakeholders, utilising the necessary technical skills sets and experience to ensure best business outcomes are achieved
- Ability to define, approve and communicate, internally and externally, best design practice, systems and functions
- Sound knowledge and in depth practical and theoretical knowledge of Major Power Systems Networks and Management of Major Power Systems Networks
- Ability to prioritise and critically assess own performance essentials
- Education to degree standard in an Engineering discipline required
- Eligibility for Engineers Australia Corporate Membership.
At Western Power, we live and breathe our values. Here’s how CCS align...
Safe & caring – Safety is critical to our business; we are not only passionate about our physical safety, but the psychological safety of our people. We are also keen to drive technology solutions to alleviate risks.
Results focussed – Our customers and communication are at the core of Western Power’s purpose and technology is rapidly changing how we engage our stakeholders. We set challenging goals, work hard and hold ourselves accountable to deliver.
Acting with integrity – CCS execute the required work to support the organisation and do the right thing by the people of WA. We build trusted relationships by being open and honest.
Working together - Teamwork for CCS extends well beyond our immediate colleagues; we need to understand and collaborate throughout the business and with our external stakeholders for Western Power to meet the needs of our customers.
Always improving – It’s integral to our success as a business that we always improve; it’s our obligation to continuously do better on behalf of our community.
Does this sound like a journey you’re keen to be a part of? Express your interest by clicking the ‘apply’ button and sending us your CV.
We are committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with disabilities, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, women, young & mature age workers & the LGBTQI+ community.
We are committed to our Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2021 - 2027 and ensuring that people with disability have equal opportunities to gain and maintain employment with Western Power. It is strongly encouraged that people with a disability who meet the inherent requirements of the positions apply for these roles.
Our recruitment process requires that all candidates who progress to the pre-employment stage must hold a police clearance issued within the last six months.
Join us and play a part in powering the future of Western Australia.
To find out more about us please visit https://www.westernpower.com.au/about/