Western Power has provided $45,000 under its Bushfire Volunteers Grants Program to 38 brigades across the network recognising the critical role volunteer brigades play in protecting communities and the environment.
The grants are used by brigades to purchase supplementary equipment for their daily operations, such as communication devices, technology, cleaning gear and other supplies.
Western Power Chief Executive Officer Sam Barbaro said the grants program was one of the ways the business supported the local communities it serves.
“These grants highlight our commitment to making a positive difference in local communities and recognise the dedicated volunteers who work tirelessly to protect the public from the devastating effects of bushfires,” Mr Barbaro said.
The Shire of Quairading’s Balkuling, South Caroling, Quairading (Central), Quairading (North), and Wamenusking fire brigades received more than $4,000 for 4WD and MAXTRAX Bush recovery kits in 2022.
“Our volunteer brigades drop everything at a moment’s notice to help during wildfires and emergencies and our community is reliant on them to protect life and property,” Quairading President Peter Smith said.
“We appreciate the funding from Western Power through the 2022 Bushfire Volunteers Association grant program going towards equipment to help keep our volunteers safe and prepared. The 4WD recovery kits will be a valuable addition to our brigades when attending local incidents.”
The City of Busselton received around $2,000 for GPS tablets for use within Yallingup Rural Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade’s fire appliances.
“The City welcomes the Western Power Bushfire Volunteers Grant, which has provided valuable funding for devices that will increase efficiency and situational awareness when responding to incidents – providing access to real-time asset tracking of appliances on the fire ground, as well as providing identification of critical infrastructure and emergency access routes in times of need,” Busselton Mayor Grant Henley said.
“The tablets are an important tool that will complement the suite of risk mitigation measures aiming to keep both bushfire volunteers and community safe.”
Nic Parry, Shire of Moora & Victoria Plains Community Emergency Services Manager, said Western Power’s Bushfire Association $2,000 grant allowed its Calingiri Bush Fire Brigade to upgrade its emergency support trailer with equipment, including a fridge, power source, shade and seating.
“This upgrade will not only benefit our brigade but also the surrounding brigades in Victoria Plains, as it will enable us to provide better support during emergency situations. The addition of a fridge and power source will ensure we can keep food and drinks cold, and power equipment such as communication devices. The shade and seating will also provide much-needed relief for our volunteers during extended operations,” Mr Parry said.
To learn more about preparing for the bushfire season visit westernpower.com.au/safety/bushfire-safety.
Western Power Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade grant recipients 2022
- Coolgardie BFB – Shire of Coolgardie
- Boxwood Hill BFB – Shire of Jerramungup
- Highway Volunteer FB – City of Albany
- Changerup BFB – Shire of Kojonup
- Beaufort Kenmare BFB – Shire of Woodanilling
- East Ravensthorpe BFB – Shire of Ravensthorpe
- Oakford VBFB – Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale
- Jandakot VBFB – City of Cockburn
- South Coogee VBFB – City of Cockburn
- Mundijong VBFB – Shire of Serpentine-Jarrahdale
- Waroona (West) VBFB – Shire of Waroona
- Lake Clifton VBFB – Shire of Waroona
- Preston Beach VBFB – Shire of Waroona
- Gracetown BFB – Shire of Augusta-Margaret River
- Molloy Island VBFB– Shire of Augusta-Margaret River
- Kenninup FB – Shire of Boyup Brook
- Upper Ferguson VBFB – Shire of Dardanup
- Thomson Brook BFB – Shire of Donnybrook-Balingup
- Myalup VBFB – Shire of Harvey
- North Nannup VBFB – Shire of Nannup
- Scott River Lake Jasper VBFB – Shire of Nannup
- Yallingup Rural VBFB – City of Busselton
- Springfield BFB – Shire of Manjimup
- Calingiri BFB – Shire of Victoria Plains
- Gingin (West) VBFB – Shire of Gingin
- Hines Hill-Nangeenan BFB – Shire of Merredin
- Clackline Muresk VBFB – Shire of Northam
- Grass Valley BFB – Shire of Northam
- Balkuling/Doodenanning VBFB – Shire of Quairading
- South Caroling VBFB – Shire of Quairading
- Quairading (Central) VBFB – Shire of Quairading
- Quairading (North) VBFB – Shire of Quairading
- Wamenusking VBFB – Shire of Quairading
- Narrogin (Central) VBFB – Shire of Narrogin
- Wickepin BFB – Shire of Wickepin
- Muchea VBFB - Shire of Chittering
- Coondle-Nunile VBFB – Shire of Toodyay
- Mogumer-Gillingarra BFB – Shire of Victoria Plains